Workplaces in which employees feel respected by supervisors and coworkers have been proven to yield higher job satisfaction and engagement as well as improved physical and emotional health. Benefits for companies, linking to the increased rates of employee engagement, include higher productivity and profitability, improved customer satisfaction and an improved ability to attract, develop and retain talented employees. Needless to day, workplaces where respect is fostered have a great competitive advantage over those that don’t.
The following are 10 quotes that we feature in our Coffee & Keynote card deck that we give to participants during our Connecting With Respect training. These quotes help remind us of what it means to be a respectful person, along with followup actions that you can take today to promote the values of respect in your workplace.
“Small kindnesses, small courtesies, small considerations, habitually practices in our social intercourse, give a greater charm to the character than the display of great talents and accomplishments.” – Mary Ann Kelty
Today, focus on little acts of kindness practiced often. Doors held, compliments offered and smiles shared.
“Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.” – Charles A. Dana
Today, try to capture the power of “What if?” See how many opportunities you come across to learn something new simply by suspending your own version of “truth and reality.”
“I note the obvious differences between each sort and type, but we are more alike, my friends, than we are unlike.” – Maya Angelou
When you come across people today with whom it appears you have nothing in common, stop and look harder. There is always a point of connection if you look hard enough.
“Share our similarities, celebrate our differences.” – M. Scott Peck
Genetically, we’re 99% similar to each other. Today, explore and appreciate the other 1% that makes your co-workers and friends so unique and interesting.
“All the statistics in the world can’t measure the warmth of a smile.” – Chris Hart
When you greet people today, make it a point to offer them your best smile and a warm “hello.” Notice how it affects them…and you.
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
Think about the power of alignment. What are the values that you can connect with your peers on that could literally change the world?
“Always treat your employees exactly as you want them to treat your best customers.” – Stephen Covey
Today, think of your coworkers as customers. What little things could you do to help them have a great “client” experience?
“No duty is more important than that of returning thanks.” – St. Ambrose
None of us can do our best work without the help of others. Try to find three people to thank today for having helped you, either personally or professionally.
“Appreciate everything your associates do for the business. Nothing else can quite substitute for a few well-chosen, well-timed, sincere words of praise. They’re absolutely free and worth a fortune.” – Sam Walton
Find three opportunities to compliment your co-workers today.
“Understanding the diversity of our gifts enables us to begin taking the crucial step of trusting each other.” – Max DePree
Make it a point today to pay attention to how the unique skills, knowledge, attitudes and experiences of your coworkers help you to do your best work.
“To understand the heart and mind of a person, look not at what he has already achieved, but at what he aspires to.” – Khalil Gibran
Today, make an investment in getting to know another person a little better. Ask him or her about a long-term goal or hope…and then be a great listener. See if you could possibly help them somehow.
“No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” – Aesop
Today, look for three opportunities to practice little acts of kindness with those whose paths you cross.