We’ve all done it. It might have seemed harmless at the time. We started or passed along gossip about one of our co-workers.
But it isn’t harmless and it can be hurtful.
Sadly, as workplace violence, bullying, and harassment rates continue to rise, gossip is also increasingly playing a larger role. Gossip nowadays doesn’t just happen in person around the water cooler, it occurs online and on social media sites too.
Here’s what you can do:
- If you hear gossip, don’t spread it.
- Change the subject when someone starts gossiping.
- Excuse yourself politely and walk away when people start gossiping.
- Say something positive instead.
- If it gets out of hand, report it to HR.